Saturday 30 April 2011

Super Monkey Ball 3D (3DS) Review

What is better than rolling a suffocating monkey to a goal? Let's just say a few of the other of the 3DS Launch Titles. Super Monkey Ball 3D is fun, but the easy gameplay and boring minigames are what make me like other 3DS launch titles better.


As I said earlier, the easy gameplay is one thing I do not like about it. For a while, it seems like every level has guard-rails. We all know that the first world is supposed to be easy, but other worlds share that trait too. With that said, I beat all of the levels in two hours (and I'm not even that good of a gamer.)
(At Sega headquarters)
Sega Developer 1: How can we disappoint the fans?
Sega Developer 2: Make crappy minigames.
Sega Developer 1: Good Idea!
Result:
The minigames are crappy
The minigames for Super Monkey Ball are Monkey Fight and Monkey Race, which are ripoffs of Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart respectively. They are fun, but only for around a minute. I've played them both, and I'll probably not play them again until I'm extremely bored.

In my opinion, the lasting appeal of Super Monkey Ball is not all that bad, even though I beat the main game in 2 hours. I had to spend quite some time getting all the collectibles. Some of the collectibles are in easy places, but some are in hard-to-reach places. A suggestion of mine is to get highscores for every level to increase the replay value.

The graphics of Super Monkey Ball are very good, at least in my opinion. There aren't any noticeable framerate drops when playing in 3D, and the 3D is beautiful. Also, the 3D is helpful beacause it helps you judge the distance between the Monkey and various objects. And even without the 3D on, the vibrant colors make the game's graphics great.

The music of Super Monkey Ball is good and catchy, but what annoys me is the announcer's voice. Super Monkey Ball 3D is one of the games that influenced me to listen to my iPod while playing video games. I guess some people might like the announcer's voice.

The controls of Super Monkey Ball are very simple: tilt the 3DS, or use the Circle Pad to control the Monkey. No complaints here, though I have to say that the Circle Pad is easier to use than the gyroscope.

Gameplay: Easy level designs 6.5

Sound: The announcer's voice is annoying, but the music is good 7.5

Controls: Simple and easy 9

Lasting Appeal: Main story doesn't last long, but collecting all of the collectibles does 8

Graphics: Vibrant colors + Brilliant 3D = Win 9.5

Random Category: Fruit! There are lots and lots of bananas.

Overall: 8/10

It's not the 3DS Title I'd recommend the most, but it's definitely worth a look.


No comments:

Post a Comment